Monday, August 27, 2007
Monday, August 20, 2007
Well, I'm back.
In twenty years (and ten days) I've travelled approximately 5 metres.
(Also, there's a vac student four desks away who wasn't even born when I first started…)
Friday, August 10, 2007
So it's finally time to go back to full-time paid work, which will mean even less Copious Free Time than recently. Having decided against a move to Zurich, I'll shortly be heading back to the nice place where I've worked for a large fraction of my career.
- Started a company with a colleague, building and selling a time-tracking software product.
- Wrote a book on High-Quality Software Engineering (around 42,000 words).
- Wrote around 92,000 words of another book project, which is on hold for the time being.
- Wrote around 57,000 words in this blog thingy.
- Had a couple of months paid work producing a Linux kernel module.
- Put together two prototype web applications, using the Django framework (in Python, mostly on Mac OS X).
- Various smaller personal coding projects:
- A 3D stick figure animation applet (in Java 1.0)
- A command-line sudoku solver (in C++).
- An applet to test attentional blink.
- A PalmOS version of MineSweeper.
- A test program to investigate anomalous exits in Windows.
- Resurrected some old nonlinear time series analysis code.
- Played briefly with some Cocoa coding.
- Read 120 fiction and 74 nonfiction books.
- Took 1660 photographs.
- Holidays in Thailand (& Cambodia), Iceland, and a short break in Paris.
- OCD indulgence: scanned all my old film negatives (5200 of them), scanned all of the ISBNs from my books (1860), and migrated all my source code and projects from RCS to CVS.
Sunday, August 05, 2007
So it seems babies are isomorphic to vampires:
Thursday, August 02, 2007
[reading: Susanna Clarke, "The Ladies of Grace Adieu"]
Bit of tidying up today—I added the source code for various of my trivial bits of code to the website
- TwigAnim applet (GPLv2)
- IEEE floating point converter applet (MIT license).
- GridFont assistant applet (MIT license).
- Tesserax applet (MIT license).
- Attentional blink applet (MIT license).
- PalmOS Minesweeper (MIT license).