Friday, May 25, 2007

The Dead Pool

[reading: Tracy Hogg, "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer"; recently Kurt Vonnegut, "Slaughterhouse Five", Christopher Brookmyre, "All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye", Greg Bear, "Vitals"]

Looking at the list of dead (or dying) computer skills, I'm starting to feel old. Of the 10 on the list, I've got experience in:

  • Non-IP networks: Yep, about 2.5 years of SNA programming (although the last time I messed in SNA was fortunately back in 1996).
  • C programming: Er, over 10 years of this, although a large fraction of the recent stuff has been more of a C/C++ hybrid (which slightly misses their point—the article specifically targets pure C programmers).
  • OS/2: Ah, the half operating system. As Bill Gates presciently put it (in the foreword to a book that I read at the time), "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system, and possibly program, of all time". I had probably a year or so working on it (a printer driver and a comms system) back in 1989/1990.
  • Cobol: Actually, no. But if they'd mentioned Fortran instead, I'd have to admit to a couple of years of it. Most recently in 2005 (don't ask).

[A:42265 B:3736 C:346 D:9187 E:92981 Total:148515]

No comments: