Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Astroturf

[reading: Tom DeMarco & Timothy Lister "Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams"]

On the plus side, this is an absolutely fascinating advert:

On the minus side, when I emailed* Dove to see if there was a higher-resolution, downloadable copy anywhere (for a teacher friend who wanted to use it as the basis for a school assembly), I got a swift response of:

Due to licensing reasons we are unable to send the Dove Evolution Film to other organizations. We invite you to log on to http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/ to play the film live.

I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a response.


*When I say "email", obviously I mean "fill out a ridiculous web form that requires me to fill in my postal address". And when I say "my postal address", obviously I mean a random invented address because a) I don't want junk mail for the rest of my days and b) the address form doesn't allow non-US addresses.

No comments: