Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Day 99

[reading: Neal Stephenson, "Quicksilver"]

Thankfully, the road from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh is in a decent condition and so this bus journey is quite pleasant. The hotel is also just along from the Foreign Correspondent's Club, where we all congregate for dinner.
Exodus_group_@_FCC,_Phnom_Penh
Noticing the geckos here more than I did in Thailand; they seem to have found a loophole in the whole gravity thing, and their gait when they move is quite fascination—their bodies oscillate between bending to the left and to the right.
Gecko_@_FCC,_Phnom_Penh


Being here does fill me with the urge to watch 'The Year of Living Dangerously' again; maybe I should have a rental session when I get back and also watch 'Bridge On The River Kwai' and 'The Killing Fields' too.


I've noticed far fewer misspellings of English words in Cambodia than Thailand; I wonder if this reflects a different kind of script for Cambodian (maybe alphabetic rather than syllabic?).


"Dollars for preference, in this uncertain world"

I have to admit I'm not all that keen on Cambodia. It feels like I'm just regarded as a walking dollar bill, and one that the locals don't want to let get away. I guess that's because there are still so few westerners visiting, and they're so rich in comparison. Still, everything's much more expensive than Thailand (heading towards non-city US prices) and it's tiring just walking down the street and fending off the vendors and beggars (the first I've seen on the trip).

No comments: