Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Day 64

Today feels a lot like déjà vu all over again. I went over the holes in the kitchen ceiling again, just like yesterday. (Rather too much like yesterday, in fact. The plan was just to smooth over the plaster a bit, but for one of the holes a slightly over-enthusiastic smoothing pushed the whole plug (or should that be hole plug?) up and out, so I had to start again).

Next was painting the front door. Again.

Then there was cleaning up old tiles for reuse, again. As it turns out, soaking the tiles worked splendidly for making the mortar more removable, although there was still the occasional stubborn tile (as evinced by the gash in my thumb when the scraper slipped to the side).

I've also had my first go at replastering. Fortunately, most of the plastering is in areas that are going to be covered with tiles, so it doesn't matter too much if I make a hash of it. As a beginner, I thought it best to stick to ready mixed, general purpose plaster, but it seemed a bit too dry and powdery. However, when I damped it down slightly, it turned out to be less sticky rather than stuff straight out of the pot, so I guess I should trust the manufacturers more. I'm still not convinced that the whole lot isn't all going to fall out in one big lump, though . . .

No comments: