Thursday, June 16, 2005

Day 43

[reading: Larry DiTillio, "The Masks of Nyarlathotep"]

Spent today writing three and half thousand words about code reviews.

Or rather re-writing: soon after I started my last job, the team I was in introduced a new code review policy. I've done lots and lots of code reviewing over the years in my previous job, so I ended up writing seven pages on how and why to do code reviews. Of course, since I wrote all this text at work, I don't get to keep the copyright. I thought it was good text, and since I've never actually seen anything similar written down anywhere, I wrote something similar again. The original text itself might be owned by my last employer, but they can hardly claim the ideas were theirs, as I'd only been there a month at the time (not that they'd really care, I suspect).

I occasionally toy with writing up more of my musings about software engineering, but I usually find that someone out there has already written roughly what I want to say. Usually it's Joel, and it usually pithier and funnier than anything I'm likely to write. Sigh.

Anyway, I'll leave what I've written for a few days to get some perspective on it, and then I may whack it onto a web page somewhere. Once I've finished fighting texinfo.

No comments: